Saturday, March 1, 2014

Email to Howard Katz, COO of NFL Films:

Email to Howard Katz, COO of NFL Films:

Hi Howard,

The last time I saw Steve Sabol in the hall at NFL Films, he greeted me loudly as "THE ORSON WELLES OF FOOTBALL FILMS!"

Just thinking that NFL Films would be remiss not to tell of my contributions to its success by creating "The Football Follies" and the ballet (both in MoMA) cornerstones of NFL Films' reputation that benefitted the whole league by countering public resistance, complaints of excessive violence in this newly emerging favorite sport. There were also other noteworthy pieces, especially the one starring my 6 yr. old son that is also in MoMA.   I sent you my memoir, "Inside The Football Follies", that could be used as a guide.  Then there's some of the work we did at ABC Sports and TWI. 

There is also some real good video in my life outside the NFL: producing and writing multiple Emmy winning hour specials for Post-Newsweek TV on how CBS broadcasts football and Detroit's New Americans, weird TV feature reporter (couple of Redskins players swore they got high to watch my stuff),  Emmy winning film editor at ABC Sports,  Enlightened Poet who spent 7 years as a "homeless guest" in the 80s.  His current "EKLEKTIK ELECTRIK" college radio show ranges from Spike Jones to Beethoven.

I think it's a great story.  You may not and since NFL Films is now your sandbox Howard, I defer to you..

Simply,  Simon

No comments: